Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Saying Goodbye to Hamilton...

As Hamilton was finally moving to the Illinois area into foster care, here is what his first foster mom, Jennifer, had to say: There are some dogs who come around who really touch your heart. I have never met a dog I didn't love, but there is something extra special about Hamilton that can't be put into words.

Last night I thought of a million ways in which I could keep him, but I knew that he would give someone else the great joy he has given me. And I thought of all the other dogs I could save and who needed me to help them on their way. So, he got a big meal last night, a nice bath and ear cleaning, and my fleece jacket to sleep with (and his last romp with his girlfriend Darla).

We went for a nice walk at 6:30 this morning while waiting for Nancy, and then we said goodbye. I sent him with all his vet paperwork and microchip info, an extra collar and leash, his favorite green squeaky toy, and some of the food he's been eating to mix in with whatever new food he will eat. I just called Nancy too, to check up on him, and she said he was quiet as a mouse and that all was fine.

I just wish the greatest happiness for this little dog I love so much, and for someone to know what a sensitive loving treasure Hamilton is.

Jennifer (who is brokenhearted but happy for Hamilton and his new life...)

No comments: